There are a set of standard questions, every PMP aspirant asks. This post along with the video, addresses most of them.
1) What is PMP?
PMP stands for “Project management professional” – one of the most popular certifications for project managers.
2) Is it domain specific?
No. PMP examination is based on the project management body of knowledge (PMBOK), which is general set of best practices which are vendor and domain neutral.
3) After appearing for the 35 contact hours of class, the 35 contact hours thus earned is valid for how many years?
8 years. Unbelievable?…Yes, it is valid for eight years from the date of gaining the 35 contact hours.
4) Once I register for the PMP exam, within how many days time should I write the exam?
365 days ( 1 year).
5) How do I register for the exam?
Once your application is approved by PMI, they will send you the reference code. Using this reference code, you can schedule your exam in the nearest prometric testing center. The complete list of prometric testing centers is available at www.2test.com
6) Is it necessary that I should have worked as a project manager, before applying for the exam?
Here the general advise is “The day someone starts reporting to you, you are a manager”. Even if your designation is not “project manager”, and if you have worked as part of the project team for the stipulated hours, still you qualify. For the correct and latest qualification criteria, please refer to the PMP hand book, which can be downloaded from www.pmi.org
7) Is it mandatory to become a PMI member, before applying for the exam?
No. It is not mandatory to become a PMI member to apply for the exam. At the same time, if you are a PMI member at the time of applying for PMP certification exam, then you get the following advantages;
- You get a discount of USD 100 on the exam fees. That means, effectively you are getting the membership for the first year for just USD 29 only.
- Once you are a PMI member, then you get access to the knowledge database of PMI
- One year subscription to PM network magazine and PM journal quarterly – both value for money
- A Complimentary soft copy of the latest version of PMBOK, which is a must for preparing for the exam
What are the other certifications offered by PMI?
- CAPM – Certified associate in project management
- PMI SP – PMI Scheduling professional
- PMI RMP – PMI Risk management professional
- PMP – Project management professional
- PgMP – Program management professional
Is there any ratio of questions process group wise?
Yes, and it is as follows;
- Initiation 11%
- Planning 23%
- Execution 27%
- Monitoring and controlling 21%
- Closing 9%
- Professional responsibility 9%
To be continued….If you have any specific queries, please post it as a comment.