As per the project management body of knowledge, the projects fail at the beginning, not at the end. This can be because of several reasons. One of the key reasons is the lack of clarity of the project goals at the beginning of the project. Before starting the project itself the project managers must know the business case of the project. This will empower the project manager and will result in better planning, execution, monitoring and controlling and closing the project. So, next time before starting the project please have an answer to these questions…
1) why is the customer doing this project?
2) if this project is not done, what is the impact on planet earth?
3) what are the linkages of the project under consideration to the other projects of the customer?
4) who are the key stakeholders of the project?
5) what are their stakes in the project?
6) when will we say that the project is successful?
Answers to these questions will help the project managers to begin the project with the desirable end in mind, and to optimize all the activities pertaining to initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and controlling, and closing.